Friday, August 18, 2006

Memories - A Tale Told Two Ways

Last night I followed my own advice and spent a good while listening and chatting on the internet station "Carolina Country Radio" If some of you guessed that the first story told on this blog was a personal experience, you would be correct. The reason that I still have not disclosed the names in that column is a simple matter of authenticating my own memory of the events. As soon as I can get in touch with one more person, I will insert all of the names.

Back to last night. While discussing with Charlie Ammerman on the air last night, another story that fits the theme of this blog came out. It is the second story that I hinted about in my first entry. Full disclosure this time; it involves Charlie Ammerman, the principle of the story and yours truly.

In the early 1970's what we now call CMA Awards Week centered around Opryland was referred to as the "Disc Jockey Convention". It was the time of year when all of the stars and would be stars had hospitality suites all over downtown Nashville. More like what we used to call "Fan Fare" which sprang forth to take the DJ week's place.

One of the largest clubs at the time was "George Jones' Possum Holler" in Printers Alley. You locals now know that site as the Bat Building. They tore old George's club down for a telephone company highrise. During DJ week, entertainment was so plentiful you had to make choices of which venue to attend. There was no formal scheduling, at least not with each other. But one place you had an excellent chance to see a lot of big talent, as well as the up and coming, was at Possum Holler. The theme there was "you never know who you will see at Possum Holler" . That was no idle brag, it was true. At a later time, I will talk more about Possum Holler where I was directly involved from 1975 until it closed to become "Jerry Lee Lewis' Country Showcase". Now there's a mouthful. See how I keep drifting off topic. It is easy to do when so much happened in those years.

"George Jones Possum Holler" boasted a V.I.P. section that was right next to the stage (strategic placement) where the stars could sit with their friends in peace but still be seen by the general public and just maybe (wink, wink) jump up on the stage for an impromptu performance. During DJ week the section had to be staffed pretty heavily to keep the tourists from mobbing the raised area.

One of the people handling the ropes, that parted to give access to the V.I.P., was none other than Charlie Ammerman mentioned in the last post and above. Another was Sandy Baggott, the brother of the true owner of the club, Shug Baggott and George's Manager at the time. Now, this is where my memory and Charlie Ammerman's memory differ just a little. It does not alter the story.

This hobo came walking in with a guitar hanging around his neck. We often had every shape and description of person walking into the club wanting exposure. At first I was taken aback by this very well spoken hobo and figured out quickly that it was a gimmick act. Entrance to the elite section of the club was certainly not the place for this fellow. But then something happened. He asked if he could just sing a few songs in the lobby, which was very large and had people milling around all the time taking pictures and buying souvenirs. That was my part of the security effort. I told him to go ahead and lets see what he had going.

WOW! That is the only way to put it. He was generating more applause in the lobby than some of the acts on stage. I determined real quickly that Boxcar Willie needed to be on the stage. The story does not end yet.

I walked Boxcar through the crowd to the V.I.P. section (and this is where the story varies). I thought that I spoke to Sandy Baggott, but Charlie Ammerman remembers distinctly that he was the one who took one look at Boxcar and told me I was crazy. Someone looking like that had to be just a gimmick entertainer and it was not the night for gimmicks. I argued the point for a few minutes and then I was told that if I was willing to take the fallout from putting the wrong person on the stage, go ahead. I had a pretty good track record with talent. I felt secure with a smirk on my face.

Boxcar Willie was one of the nicest men that I ever met. Not just in entertainment, but in all of my life. He went on stage and brought the house to their feet. Someone in the audience heard him perform and if you have ever seen his show, you know he was a performer, not just a singer. Some say it was Roy Acuff, but I don't remember Acuff being there that night. But no matter who it was, that weekend Boxcar appeared as a guest on the Grand Ole Opry. Within months his star shot sky high and he was later inducted into the Grand Ole Opry.
Biography here.

Boxcar was also one of the prime movers of Branson, MO and helped establish that cities future. We will miss this man.


As I disclaim at the end of each story, there is no way to know what would have happened if I had not argued the point to get him on stage. With his talent he may have still gone on to glory. But it is satisfying to know, that in this case, what I did helped.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This record is false. I am Shug Baggott and I say it is absolutely false. The truth is George Jones was playing a club in Texas, Boxcar Willie was one of the opening acts. I was so impressed that I told him if he ever got to Nashville, I would pay him for his performance at Possum Hollar. One night we got a call from Boxcar, he was in jackson,Tn. and his car had broke down and he did not have any money. I sent Merle Kilgore to Jackson to pick him up. He went on at possum Hollar the next night and brought the house down. The rest is history. Boxcar and I remained friends until his death. It really doesn't matter, but I just wanted to set the record straight. Thanks Shug

Brett Baggott said...

Gary, in the spirit of "A Tale Told Two Ways", I can see this being a case where Boxcar arrived to sing and you just weren't aware that he was actually a booked act that night. If I remember, Boxcar was a lot like that and wouldn't have been so self-important to try to correct you or insist he be treated like a VIP. In other words, these aren't necessarily mutually exclusive accounts. Of course we'll still give Dad credit for giving Boxcar his big break. Especially since Boxcar's own biography does. :) BTW, I spoke with Charlie a few years ago, I was too young back then to know him (though I spent many days, and even nights, at Possum Hollar), but he's a great guy. All the best, ~Brett